Lisbon won its place in the global ranking as the “Best City Break Destination” and Madeira as the “Best Island Destination”.
Elected for the third time as the best tourist destination in the world. This is the most recent achievement for Portugal, which went to the Royal Opera House of Muscat, the capital of Oman, to collect several awards in the World Travel Awards which are considered the "Oscars of Tourism". Portugal also brought back the awards for the best city break destination, awarded to Lisbon, and the best island destination in the world, awarded to Madeira.
The world's best tourist attraction in the adventure segment of the awards is also in Portuguese territory: the prize was awarded to the hiking trail, Passadiços do Paiva. In all, Portugal has won 13 "Oscars", including hotels, airlines and resorts. In the race to be the "best in the world", the country has won over names such as Brazil, Costa Rica, Greece, Jamaica, the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
The list of winners
- Portugal - Best Destination in the World
- Lisbon - Best City Break Destination
- Madeira - Best Island Destination in the World
- TAP - Best Airline to Africa
- TAP - Best Airline to South America
- Up Magazine - Best Airline Magazine
- Passadiços do Paiva - Best Adventure Tourist Attraction
- Turismo de Portugal - Best Tourism Organisation
- Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel - Best Classic Hotel
- Dunas Douradas (Golden Dunes) Beach Club - Best Golf & Villa Resort
- Parques de Sintra - World's Best Conservation Company
Lisbon and Porto among the cities that will grow the most in 2020
In eDreams ODIGEO's annual study on travel trends in Europe, Lisbon and Porto are among the fastest growing cities in the coming year. Invicta appears in 5th place and Lisbon in 14th place, joint with Prague (Czech Republic), according to the Real Estate Daily.
The podium is led by the city of Tokyo in Japan, followed by Fort-de-France in Martinique and Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe. In fourth place, Phuket in Thailand is found.