Buying a house can be a long and complex process, with a lot of official hoops to remember to jump through. In order not to forget a thing, you can use this comprehensive checklist to tick these vital steps off as you go.
- Obtain a copy of the Land Registry Certificate (Certidão do Registo Predial) from the Land Registry Office (Conservatória do Registo Predial) which gives construction details of the property.
- Get the Title Certificate (Caderneta Predial), which gives tax information relating to the property and is available from the tax office, making sure that any details that appear in this and the Land Registry Certificate match up correctly.
- Get a Usage Licence (Licença de Utilização) which allows you to see what restrictions are placed on what the land or property can be used for.
- Obtain a Housing Technical Datasheet (Ficha Técnica de Habitação) from the city council, giving all the functional details of the house.
- Get the Energy Performance Certificate (Certificado Energético).
- You need proof of prior payment of the Municipal Tax on Property Transactions (Guia comprovativo do pagamento prévio do Imposto Municipal de Transações Onerosas de Imóveis).
- Make photocopies of your ID or passport and your taxpayer card and make sure you have those of the seller too.